Regard the writing life as a calling to contribute
Seven Guidelines for Being a Successful and Soulful Author
"The book business has changed radically from when I started publishing. But I still hold to certain principles that have allowed me to live a long and happy life as a full-time writer:
1. Never stop learning the craft of writing.
2. Read the best work inside and outside of your field or areas of interest.
3. Help your readers read your books. Keep their happiness in mind.
4. Don’t follow the crowd. Be an individual. Experiment and take risks.
5. Be good to agents and publishers. They are people usually dedicated to produce the best books.
6. Become a real, educated person so you have something real and worthwhile to write.
7. Put more soul into your career and not so much ego. See your work as a calling and making a serious contribution."